This month is Earth Month and April 22nd is Earth Day. Studies show that we are under the increasing threat of global warming with large sea ice melting; extreme weather-related events; stressed water supplies and the mass extinction of animals, plants & habitats. According to the United Nations Foundations, ‘food security – the reliable access to safe, affordable, and nutritious food – is inextricably linked to a predictable climate and healthy ecosystems.’ With swarms of locusts destroying crops, aggravated by unusually heavy rains, in East Africa & Southwest Asia, to the destruction of crops in China because of flooding, our ability to produce plentiful and nutritious food is being severely impacted by the negative effects of climate change.
This Earth Month, with 663 million people already undernourished and 1.9 billion people, moderately or severely food insecure, we at Akshaya Patra, promise to Invest In Our Planet by preserving and protecting our health, families & livelihoods by acting boldly, innovatively and equitably.
- We have implemented FIFO (First In First Out) and FEFO (First Expiry First Out) in our kitchens so we can identify, store and optimally utilize raw materials while reducing waste.
- We have adopted biogas plants to convert organic waste into energy and reduce our dependence on chemical fertilizers.
- A few kitchens use solar energy to save electricity and most kitchens have substituted the use of coal & charcoal with biomass briquette to generate energy.
- We are reducing our environmental footprint by installing sewage treatment plants to scientifically treat, dispose and recycle kitchen waste.
- Some kitchens also use Reed Bed Plant Technology which is a natural way of filtering waste water so we can use it for irrigation purposes or to clean the external areas of the kitchen.
Sustainable Food Systems
At the beginning of this year, we created a 10 year strategic plan following the UN’s framework for Sustainable Food Systems. Our foci include the environment, our social impact and governance. We want to manage our deliverables alongside a long term sustainability plan; reduce our water consumption; ensure that sustainability is an integral part of the company culture and upgrade our technology to maximize nutritional value.
People argue that the economy and environment cannot exist in harmony however we, at Akshaya Patra, believe that if we work together we CAN reduce our ecological footprint without impacting the growth of the economy. Have more tips to reduce your footprint? Please share them with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn!